Sunday, March 8, 2009

Everyone in Heaven is an asshole.

It should come as no surprise to those of you who know me, I do not expect to go to heaven. If there is one, and for the sake of those who would gain admission I hope there is, I do not expect to be on the guest list.

Why do high school seniors turn into such assholes during the last days of the school year? It is simply because the powers that kept their behavior in line is losing its hold on them. Without the threat of retaliation or consequence, the natives become restless and all Hell breaks loose.

Now imagine the Senioritis phenomenon on an infinite scale. Once you make it to heaven the threat of eternal damnation is gone. Having realized the promise of eternity in heaven there is no longer any reason to do anything selfless or kind. The opiate of the masses loses its ability to maintain order today in exchange for the promise of a better tomorrow.

Conversly I imagine Hell is a rather pleasant place filled with polite people who are hoping against hope that somehow someway they will earn a ticket out. I also imagine that the people you meet in Hell will have much more interesting stories to tell.

So the next time somebody tells you to go to Hell you should thank them. Don't worry about a thing I will make sure to save you seat.

2 comments:

  1. Nice, I like it. So basically, what ticket do you want to live for? The ticket now that gets you up there , and for what? No great stories there. OR, do you want the ticket down there for where? "Out" where? Id stay for the great stories. Yeah, Im with ya - save me a seat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. According to Episcopal doctrine, to which I subscribe, hell is the absence of God's love. I can't imagine pearly gates or angels floating on clouds or all of that nonsense we see in New Yorker cartoons (well I can imagine them). But I can't believe that's heaven. It seems to me to be more like William Blake's poem "The Little Black Boy" (check it out on Google) which describes heat and love and enormous joy.

    ReplyDelete